Wednesday, December 1, 2010

There will be Trouble ahead



Last night to my great surprise I was awarded First Prize in the Trouble Maker brewing competition. It was a beer brewing competition run by Trouble Brewing Company in conjunction with Beoir.org and the The Bull and Castle, where the judging was held. First prize not alone included dinner for two in a gastro pub and a hamper of beer but the winning recipe will be brewed commercially in 2011 and be available at various festivals depending on what pops up. It will be launched at the Fanciscan Well's EasterFest 2011.

At around 10pm I received a text from an unknown number telling me of the news. In the back of my mind I was thinking complete stitch up so I rang the number and it was confirmed I had won by Mr S. Billings of Beoir.org fame. I talked to some of the judges and I got fairly giddy at the thought of a commercial batch being produced and me being there to help brew it.


So in the new year I'll be off for a day to Trouble to brew my award winning recipe Galaxy Pale Ale. Here's hoping it lives up to it's tag line 'Galaxy Pale Ale - it's out of this world'.

Galaxy Pale Ale

4.9% ABV, 40 IBU

Size: 26.0 L
Original Gravity: 1.046
Terminal Gravity: 1.012
Color: 11.02 (9.85 - 27.58)
Alcohol: 4.9%
Bitterness: 40

Ingredients:
4 kg Pale Ale Malt
1 kg Munich Malt
.250 kg Crystal 60
.5 kg Carapils®/Carafoam®
1 tbsp 5.2 pH Stabilizer - added during mash
16 g Galaxy (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
25 g Galaxy (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
25 g Galaxy (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 tsp Protafloc (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05




No comments:

Post a Comment